A lot of stuff was covered during the show, as usual.
Corwin touched base on the anti-gay sentiment in the Muslim community in London's East End. Good for the gays! Despite the posters and slogans throughout the area, they are organizing a Pride parade for the East End.
Phil brought up that Sandra Dunn, an M-F transgendered woman is running for mayor of Amarillo, TX. Not the first transgendered person to run for office, and if she wins, she won't be the first to do that either.
Acceptance of gay marriage is on the rise in the U.S. According to polls, there has been a 7% shift in favor in the last two years. This puts the support and dissent at nearly a 50-50 split. But times are a changing. From March 4, 2010 to March 4th of this year, 700 hundred gay and lesbian couples were married in Mexico City. If our neighbors south of the border can suuport gay marriage, the U.S. should be able to.
In other news:
- One of the Disney animators who worked on the Lion King says that it is only a matter of time before gay families start appearing in Disney films.
- Filing your taxes as a same-sex couple (in those states where it is legal) is a bit complicated if using TurboTax.
- We mentioned it last week, but it is worth mentioning again. The U.S. Supreme Court protects "hate speech" by the Westboro Baptist Church as part of the Freedom of Speech Amendent.
- LBGTQNation asks why "gays don't win Oscars."
- An open letter to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in California to "lift the ban on gay marriage."
- West Virginia gay-rights bill dies in legislative session.
- the state of Washington recognizes same-sex marriages from other states.
- On being the world's first transsexual super model.
- A web site devoted to get information out, and personal stories, on being transgendered.
Support Lavender Hill and the Wimmin's Show on KZUM-HD 89.3FM Lincoln, NE. Visit the KZUM homepage and make a pledge/donation in support of the Wimmin's Show. All pledges received between now and March 24th will be added to the Spring Pledge Drive goal of $50,000. Help KZUM, the Wimmin's Show and Lavender Hill to reach that goal by making a pledge now.
Photo of Corwin and Phil courtesy Deb Andersen of the Wimmin's Show